Nashville Dojo – Isshinryu Karate is committed to providing a safe and fun learning environment for children to learn martial arts.
The Little Dragon program is a developmental class for children ages 5 – 7 that concentrates on karate techniques, strength, balance, flexibility training with discipline, focus, and listening skills. This is a great way to introduce young children to karate and physical activity to improve their mind and body as well as social skills.
- Basics of Karate: punching, blocking, kicking, stances, and Japanese terminology.
- Life Skills: strength, balance, flexibility, and coordination.
- Learning Social Skills: discipline, focus, and listening skills.
Expectations for Student:
- Come to class with a positive attitude, ready to learn.
- Participate in all the scheduled classes.
- Listen to the instructors at all times.
- Sit and pay attention when the instructor is teaching others.
- Perform all exercises to the best of your ability.
- Learn the requirements for the next rank and work on improving those skills.
- Take personal responsibility for one’s actions and choices, as well as their consequences.
Expectations for Parents:
- Maintain a positive reinforcement and encouragement for your kids.
- No coaching from the spectator area. This can cause confusion with the child in knowing who they should be focused on.
- Students are expected to be in the dojo before class starts. Please do your best to make sure your child is on time.
- If your child has a cough or is fighting an illness, please do not allow them to come to class.
- Belt testing eligibility and stripe promotions are a decision made by the qualified instructors at this facility. When students can demonstrate their requirements at 100% proficiency during class, then evaluations will be made. Stripe testing is done on a case by case basis and through observation of requirement proficiency during class. There are no tests for stripes. Please do not ask about when your child will be testing or ask for your child to be evaluated however feel free to ask one of the head instructors what your child should be working on at home.
- Parents or guests are not allowed on the dojo floor except to walk to the bathroom. If you have a question, please wait until our class is over and speak with an instructor.
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of younger siblings of karate students during class. Children are not to be playing on the furniture or running in the lobby.
- Although we are in a commercial space, this is a traditional club, not a business. Therefore, we do not have customers here- only students and supportive parents.